Responsible for the management of all aspects of the Banquet Department functions, in accordance with hotel standards. Directs, implements and maintains a service and management philosophy which serves as a guide to respective staff. Supervise, train and inspect the performance of assigned Banquet Staff, ensuring that all procedures are completed to the hotel's standards. Assist where necessary to ensure optimum service to guests. This person will be responsible for providing outstanding leadership of the Banquet department of the hotel that will result in positioning the Rosewood Hotel Georgia as the leader in our industry sector
· Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures and standards.
· Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
· Maintain complete knowledge of service requirements for assigned functions:
Detailed menu selections, major ingredients, appearance, texture, quality standards, garnish and method of presentation
Particular characteristics/descriptions of wines/champagnes ordered
Prices for specified selections on cash functions
Groups' names and background
Type of functions and expected attendance/guarantee numbers
Scheduled hours of service
Order of service, traffic flow in room
· Maintain complete knowledge of liquor regulations. Abide by Serving it Right particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
· Organize all assigned functions and complete preparation work in accordance to departmental standards.
· Working hours: the working hours are in accordance with the established duty roster issued by the department. Expected to support the department by extending their duty hours until such time that the emergency is solved.
· Follow up on special arrangements to ensure compliance with such.
· Check heart of house areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness.
· Set up par levels for supplies and complete requisition for additional supplies needed and submit to F&B Manager or Director of Purchasing.
· Instruct designated personnel to rectify any cleanliness/organization deficiencies.
· Requisition linens/skirting required for business and assign staff to transport such to the linen room.
· Inspect the scheduled function area/room for cleanliness, working condition and proper furniture/equipment set up; rectify any deficiencies with respective departments.
· Meet on a daily basis with the Head Chef, AV, Catering and Stewarding to review scheduled group's menu and equipment requirements.
· Ensure agreement of delivery times, amounts and special arrangements. Coordinate buffet requirements when necessary.
· Communicate service needs throughout the function.
· Prepare station assignments for Banquet Servers according to group requirements and hotel standards.
· Prepare weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts.
· Ensure that assigned staff has reported to work; document any late or absent employees. Performance discipline if necessary.
· Coordinate breaks for assigned staff.
· Assign stations and side-work to Servers in accordance with departmental procedures.
· Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
· Identify situations, which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
· Conduct pre-meal meeting with Servers and review all information pertinent to set-up and service of group.
· Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies and document.
· Inspect table set-ups; check for cleanliness, neatness and agreement with group requirements and departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel. Ensure setups are down 30 minutes prior to guest arrival.
· Check bar set-ups for cleanliness, organization and agreement with group requirements and departmental standards; resolve any problems.
· Check buffet tables/receptions/coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness, layout; ensure agreement with function order and departmental standards; resolve any problems.
· Ensure replenishment of items as specified on event orders and requested by group contact.
· Set out buffet cards in accordance with group requirements and departmental standards.
· Organize head table assembly and assist in group's entrance into the function area.
· Meet group planner/convener prior to function, make introduction and ensure that all arrangements are reviewed.
· Greet guests upon arrival at function and assist in seating as required by group in accordance with departmental standards.
· Direct Servers on timing of service throughout function.
· Communicate additional meal requirements and special requests to the kitchen.
· Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
· Hiring of Associates within the Department, Termination, Performance Evaluations, in accordance with Hotel Policy in conjunction with the Food & Beverage Manager.
· Assist Banquet Staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests.
· Observe guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
· Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
· Promote positive guest relations at all times.
· Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
· Monitor and handle guest complaints by following the EGG procedures and ensuring guest satisfaction. Document every event with details for future events.
· Total all charges for the group function, prepare cheque and present to group contact for payment. Ensure all cashiering procedures are processed in compliance with accounting standards.
· Ensure that unused food is returned to the kitchen, that designated condiments are broken down and properly stored (butters, cream, dressings, etc.) and that all banquet supplies are returned to designated storage areas.
· Direct the final breakdown of function room and clean up. Ensure all department standards are met.
· Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff signing out.
· Conduct training of staff as assigned.
· Document feedback on staff performance. All performance reviews must be done on time.
· Counsel associates with any disciplinary problems and document using progressive discipline.
· Follow all union rules that relate to the Collective Agreement.
· Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employees’ morale.
· Respond to all calls promptly. Answer phone within 3 rings, using correct salutations and telephone etiquette.
· Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
· Document pertinent information in department event log report.
· Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards.
· Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with manager and/or on-coming supervisor.
· Inspect all set up and rooms for next day work.
· Ensure security of all hotel assets is maintained at all times
· Adhere to and promote fire and safety procedures
· Review sales for previous day and resolve discrepancies with Accounting. Track revenue against budget.
· All other duties as assigned by the Food and Beverage Manager and Planning Committee
· Experience: Minimum three years’ experience in banquet operations in a four/five star hotel or ultra-luxury environment.
· Education: High school diploma. Diploma/degree in Hospitality/Culinary Management preferred with proven record in delivering operating results in high volume banquet operations in four/five star hotels.
· General Skills: Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy; prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
· Technical Skills: Ability to enforce hotel's standards, policies and procedures with assigned staff; ability to prioritize and organize work assignments; delegate work; ability to direct performance of assigned staff and follow up with corrections where needed; ability to motivate assigned staff and maintain a cohesive team; ability to ascertain staff training needs and provide such training; ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems, exercising good judgment; ability to focus attention of details; ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares; ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties; ability to ensure security of storage room access and hotel property; ability to work without direct supervision. Apply appropriate parameters to ensure budget objectives are met, particularly labour standards and overall cost management. Knowledge of Windows, Excel, Delphi, Micros and Microsoft Office preferred.
· Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
· Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting 75 pounds, endure various physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
· Licenses & Certifications: Serving it Right